The Perseid Meteor shower peaks tonight, August 12th! This is one of the most reliable events of the year that can produce 70-80 meteors per hour! So if you are lucky enough to have clear skies, join your friends and family outside for a free light show!
Tips for optimal viewing:
- Get away from the city lights! The less light pollution the better and more brilliant the shooting stars.
- The best time for viewing the meteor shower will be between midnight and 5 A.M.
- Choose an area where the sky has a limited amount of obstructions along the horizon.
- The meteor shower originates from the constellation, Perseus. If you recline with your feet pointed south and look straight up, the meteors will appear to come from over your left shoulder.
- Keep your eyes on the sky! Your eyes will adjust to the dark after about 20-30 minutes.
- Don't stare in only one spot! If you keep your eyes moving slowly around the sky, there is a greater chance you will catch a shooting star!
Follow and/or use the hashtag #meteorwatch to join in the fun!