As many of you may know by now, Earth Hour is an event that will take place this Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 8:30 local time. The World Wildlife Fund is asking individuals, businesses, governments and organizations around the world to turn off their lights for one hour.
Here is the latest commercial that has been airing recently.
We have decided to participate in Earth Hour and throw a party at my parents' home this Saturday night! We will be turning off all lights and computers and will shut the thermostat off for the entire night here in my house.
Here are a few fun activities to fill this hour in your home:
- Any celebration is reason to eat cake in our family! My sister, Hannah, has decided to make a Blackout Cake for our Earth Hour party. Check out the recipe for one here.
- If you have a fire pit outside, light a fire and roast some marshmallows. Maybe tell a few good old fashioned ghost stories!
- Play flashlight tag!
- Play hide and seek in the dark! Make sure to give the smaller children an older partner!
- Have your child perform a show! Shine a flashlight on them from the audience and let them pretend they are on stage!
- Two words: Shadow puppets!
- Light candles! Keep them high and away from the children. Use mason jars or other deep glass containers with votives to minimize the risks.
- Be even safer and use these night lights by Oxo to illuminate your hour.
- Set up a tent indoors and camp inside for the night! Break out the glow sticks and read some stories to the kids before bedtime. Some suggestions are The Lorax by Dr. Seuss or The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.
- Beyond all else, cherish the quiet, candlelit moments of this hour with your children and loved ones. These are the moments we are trying to protect by voting Earth!